Summer is almost around the corner, and although we love everything that it brings, we have to consider how it affects our skin. Everything from simple poolside fun to all day on the beach can have a negative impact on your skin health. Chlorine and salt water can be irritating, while the sun can dry out your skin and lead to premature aging. Not a very appealing outcome, right? Don’t worry, all of these misfortunes can be avoided with proper skincare that includes cleansing, exfoliating and hydrating. However, there are still a few things that can be done if you want to achieve a healthy glow. Here are five of them.
1. Use Non-Toxic Sunscreen
Most of the conventional sunscreens contain toxic chemicals (e.g. parabens, homosalate, cinoxate, etc.) that can cause serious damage to your skin. Mineral sunscreens are usually a better choice for your skin because they contain beneficial ingredients, such as zinc and titanium. The time when you apply the sunscreen is also important. You should apply it 15 to 30 minutes before you go outside, to be sure it is fully absorbed until then. It is always useful to wear a hat and sunglasses.
2. Steam Your Face
Besides the regular skincare routine, steaming your face can be an ideal way to unclog the pores and cleanse the skin in order to avoid having those nasty acne breakouts during summer. Fortunately, giving yourself a steam cleaning in the comfort of your home requires no specialized knowledge or equipment:
- Just fill a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Transfer water into a glass bowl, place your face over the bowl, and drape a towel over your head.
- Stay over the steam for up to 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Place vinegar on a cotton ball and rub it over your face to remove the debris.
3. Use Natural Products
Just as with the sunscreen, other conventional skincare products are also packed with various toxic chemicals that can do your skin more harm than good. Summer is the time when you need something lightweight and gentle for your skin. That’s why it is better to turn to Dermalogica products that can repair your skin without causing any further damage. Mineral makeup is another wise choice.
4. Consider Natural Solutions
However, most of the skincare solutions you need can be found in your very own kitchen. Here are some ideas:
- Massage your skin with coconut water for softness and glow.
- Use lemon as a tan remover.
- Rosewater is great for a daily wash.
- An evening massage with cold milk will cleanse and moisturize your skin.
- Yogurt and honey can be great moisturizers.
- Watermelon and cucumber juice will truly freshen up your face in this hot season.
5. Take Care of the Sensitive Areas and Look Beyond the Face
First, the most sensitive areas of your face are those where your skin is the thinnest. Those are the area around your eyes and your lips. The application of a lip balm and sufficient water intake can both help in facilitating your protection against UV rays, but you should search for a balm with SPF and exfoliate your lips from time to time. As for the area around your eyes, besides the usual sunscreen application, you should wear sunglasses and apply an eye cream every night. Your face may be the biggest secret-teller, but you should also nourish your body with sunscreen and body butter.
While you are having the time of your life in the summer sun, your skin is going through a lot of issues, and since it is always there to protect you, you should also try to protect it. In return, you’ll be rewarded with a beautiful complexion and a healthy glow.