On February 19, 2019, the world lost a giant among men. Karl Lagerfeld was so much more than a designer. He was an icon, an irreplaceable icon. From his trademark ponytail, fingerless gloves, obligatory sunglasses, and beautiful tie pins, all of these elements were pulled together by an upbeat swagger owned only by him. Karl Lagerfeld was, above anything else, an individual. As Chanel and Fendi move forward knowing that their master can never be duplicated, those of us who consider ourselves part of the fashion world will always have a special place in our hearts for Karl Lagerfeld.
Here are a few of Karl Lagerfeld’s best quotes.
1. “I am very much down to Earth. Just not this earth.”
2. “When I was four I asked my mother for a valet for my birthday.”
3. “Vanity is the healthiest thing in life.”
4. “Nobody does the job better than [The Queen] does. She is never ridiculous; she is flawless.”
5. “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
6. “Don’t dress to kill, dress to survive.”
7. “I am a fashion person, and fashion is not only about clothes—it’s about all kinds of change.”
8. “Everything I say is a joke. I am a joke of myself.”
9. “I’ve always known that I was made to live this way, that I would be this sort of legend.”
10. “Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step.”
12. “I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion.”
13. “Luxury bags make your life more pleasant, make you dream, give you confidence, and show your neighbours you’re doing well.”
14. “I am like a caricature of myself, and I like that. It is like a mask. And for me the Carnival of Venice lasts all year long.”
15. “Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you.”